Stats from the above information graphic:
- According to the U.S. Department of Energy, placing your A/C unit in the shade can reduce energy usage by up to 18%.
- Deciduous trees planted on the south side of your home will provide shade in the summer, but not block sunlight during the winter. Effective shading can reduce the temperature in your home by up to 20° F.
- Keep grass clippings, leaves and debris out of your condensing unit. A clean condensing unit operates more efficiently.
- Improving ventilation can drop your attic’s temperature by 10-30° F.
- The EPA estimates the average home can reduce heating and cooling costs by 20% with better insulation and sealing.
Source: Tom’s Mechanical